You look like a ginger, but you have brown hair. We'll call you cinnamon.

You look like a ginger, but you have brown hair. We'll call you cinnamon.
You look like a ginger, but you have brown hair. We'll call you cinnEMon.

Thursday, August 11, 2011

To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily. To not dare is to lose oneself.


~Soren Kierkegaard

Last night I did dare. Last night I did lose my footing momentarily. I lost myself, my stress, my worries with the experience of daring to try something new. Last night I tried AcroYoga for the first time.

AcroYoga, as described by www.acroyoga.org is “AcroYoga blends the spiritual wisdom of yoga, the loving kindness of Thai massage, and the dynamic power of Acrobatics. These three ancient lineages form this practice that cultivates trust, connection and playfulness. There are 7 main elements that make up the practice: circle ceremony, asana, partner flow, Thai massage, therapeutic flying, inversions & spotting, and partner acrobatics. Our highest aim is to bring individuals into a state of union with themselves, with each other, and with the divine. From this place of mutual support the true self can be realized, celebrated and shared for the benefit of all.”

I went to AcroYoga with two of my friends where we worked in groups of threes. We had a base, a flyer and a spotter. I’m not sure of the names of the poses we worked on. We had a base laying on their back, legs at 90. The flyer, stands facing away from the base’s legs, reaches their arms back and places their hands, fingers facing in, on the bases feet. The bases feet sepeate enough for the flyer to lower themselves onto the base. Their arms rotating so now their hands are grabbing the bases feet from the outside, fingers facing in, and their backs on the base’s stomache. The flyer then tucks their legs up in a cannon ball. The spotter grabs the flyers hips, standing so they are at the base’s legs facing the base. On the count of three, the flyer pulls up, the base pushes up, and the spotter assists. The flyer wants to shoot their legs straight up, and then out so their legs are parallel to the ground, legs slightly spread, toes pointing to the ground above the base’s head. The base’s feet should be in the spot where the legs meet the hip of the flyer. Once everyone is steady, the flyer will bring their feet together, and grab their ankles. The base grabs the flyers upper arm and uses their arms as a support. The flyer, while holding their lower legs, brings their legs out straight. Once steady, the base slowly moves their feet from the hip of the flyer, so their toes are supporting the flyer’s lower back. This was as far as I got as both a flyer and a base, but more advanced yogis can move onto more poses.

This was a great bonding experience for me and my friends. It brought me back to my days as a cheerleader with the poses, the idea is similar to stunting. I worked muscles that never get worked and they feel stronger today. I dared to try something new. I lost my footing by balancing on someone elses' hands and toes. I lost myself in the moment. I can’t wait to go back next week. Even though it can be scary when the pose wobbles or falls. Even though people can get hurt. It is invigorating. 

XOXO
CinnEMon

No comments:

Post a Comment